Tuesday, July 05, 2011

A new take on "me-time"

It's not about me.

Here I was walking to the nearest coffee shop, as my group was out experiencing a different culture during our 'ethnic plunge' activity. I had been looking forward to this block of time to myself all day - better yet, all week - in fact, I needed it desperately.

So here I was, a few steps away - I could smell the coffee. I could feel the caffeine rushing through my veins. I grab the door handle and ... "Excuse me, ma'am, can you spare some change so I can get a drink?" I look down and notice a man in his mid 30's sitting on the ground.

"Hi, sir", I said. "I don't have any change for you, but I can gladly get you a drink". He smiled and I went in and bought him a hot chocolate.

Alas, a moment to myself. Drink in one hand, a book in the other.

"Hi ma'am. You look like a nice lady. Do you mind if I sit down with you?" I didn't even have to look up. I knew exactly who it was.

"Of course I mind. I need time to myself do you have any idea how busy I am?", I thought. [thankfully, I have a filter].

"Of course not", I said. and with that, he sat down.

For the next hour and a half, John and I got to hang out and talk about life and laugh. I felt like we knew each other forever, and I certainly walked away feeling blessed and more rejuvenated than I would have been had 'he left me alone' with my book.

I saw john again the following week as i was waiting for the subway. our eyes locked. he smiled and waved, and i walked away reminded of something i need to be reminded of each day as i serve God here at CSM Toronto:

It's not about me. [And it's not about you, either].

"Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interest of others" [Philippians 2:5]

-Paula, CSM Toronto Summer 2011 City Host

No comments: