Monday, September 14, 2009

Friendship

This past week at CSM Toronto I was able to see the culmination of a summer of talking to one particular man. I was very blessed to be at St. Francis Table (a restaurant for the less fortunate) this entire summer. Since I was there nearly every day, I was able to talk to some of the regular customers on a daily basis. There is one man Jid (Gheed) that I purposefully talked to every time. When I first met Jid he did not speak much louder than a whisper, and everything he did say was very short. I realized he is a very kind man, but he is also very timid and is having many difficulties in life.
Over time Jid told me little bits of his story and his personality began showing through in the small things he did share. He told me of a classical radio station that he enjoyed, and made sure that I had listened to it the next time I saw him. We were able to make jokes with one another about him wearing a wool sweater in the middle of summer. Jid even began asking for me if I was working in the back and he had not yet seen me that day; I felt honoured that he would do that. It saddens me that I will not be able to chat with Jid once I leave Toronto, but I also believe that this friendship we have built will have some lasting impact on both of our lives.
-Kristine Brereton, CSM Toronto Summer 2009 City Host

No comments: