Friday, June 27, 2008

Homeless Make Themselves Visible: March in D.C. Protests Shift of Shelters, Services to Fringe Areas


Asking for spare change is easier.

Bumming a smoke is less gut-wrenching.

Standing in traffic, trying to catch the gaze of drivers who fiddle with their radio buttons to avoid looking into the eyes of a homeless person, is less intimidating than standing up for yourself. Which is what Xavier J. Bannister was doing yesterday in asking for a place in a neighborhood he considers his own as much as those who own property there.

"I don't know if I made a difference today. I got some dirty looks. That was hard," said Bannister, 31, who marched along H Street in Washington, trying to get the downtown lunch crowd to see him. "But at least I let my voice be heard. And some people honked their horns and waved."

Keep reading Washington Post article...

No comments: