Thursday, March 26, 2009

New Chapter for CSM Houston's Associate City Director


It’s with a full and joyful heart that I begin this letter. When I reflect on the last several years of my life, there seems to be one turning point that has defined a great deal: CSM. I can look at my life “pre-CSM” and “post-CSM” and I realize what a difference one summer made. From that first internship as a sophomore in college there were other summers, there was even a full-time job that has been mine for nearly 4 ½ years, but more than those things there has been vision. My time with CSM taught me about God’s heart for the poor, about the needs in our cities, about living my life in a way in which I could be a part of the solution. It’s been an abundant, wonderful, and, at times, difficult journey. I have learned so much about who God is, and in turn, who I am, though my time at CSM.

As I look back on these years in Houston, two things come to mind that have been unexpected and pivotal parts of my experience in the city. Firstly, there is my church – The Houston Vineyard. I remember setting out to “find a church” in Houston. Little did I know, though, that I would find a place of such authenticity and deep relationships – I’ve been challenged there to lead, be creative, learn, grow and stretch in the context of a diverse body of believers and friends who are doing the same. I couldn’t have asked for a better home. The second thing would be Spanish. Although I struggled with the language all throughout high school and college, I found my self surprisingly motivated and determined to learn it as I began my work here. In a city with nearly 47% Latino population, I had plenty of opportunities to practice at work, at church, and in my neighborhood. Suddenly, Spanish was no longer another subject to study, but it was alive and helping me to build bridges!

This all brings us to today. I am getting ready to embark on a new journey – a journey that takes so much of what I have learned and loved the past several years and brings it together. I’ll be moving to Santiago, Chile to partner with a Vineyard church there (Iglesia La ViƱa Las Condes). I’ve been connected with this church for several years through friends at the Houston Vineyard and through my travels to Chile. When an opportunity arose to partner with them in the area of community development, local outreach and missions, I couldn’t help but think twice about it! As the capital city of Chile, Santiago has a population of over 6 million people. Although it’s painful to leave Houston, I’m excited about the opportunity to learn and love a new urban center.

-Megan Breed, CSM Houston Associate City Director

No comments: