Monday, June 23, 2008

Grace


Ever looked into the eyes of a homeless person?
Ever gazed in your mirror?
Walked down the street and watched someone eat out of a trashcan?
Ever felt broken inside?
Seen an earthquake rattle a building?

Ever gazed into the eyes of a genuine caring Mom?
Ever watched an artist paint on a canvas?
Ever seen a child with a milk mustache?
Ever watched the wind flow through the trees?
Ever done ballet?

Ever experienced grace?

I've been thinking a lot lately about grace and bout what grace truly looks like. I mean sometimes I get really focused on me and I think about how things make me feel. Sometimes I don't like that food, or I don't think things feel good to me and I just get really wrapped up in "me." There are days when I feel arrogant and prideful but I think about how I really have no rights over anyone else. Sure I wasn't born on the streets and I didn't face that injustice, I had my own injustices, but that doesn't make me better than anyone else. I dunno sometimes I just think I get wrapped up in me and forget that the grace of God surpasses all.

God's grace overcomes me, as well as every other person in the world. God's grace is something that everyone can receive if they choose to, it wasn't just for the rich, the poor, or the middle class it was for all. In recognizing grace we have to recognize that we sin and that God's grace can cover that sin. I'm not saying get lost in sin and let it keep going on, but recognize that sin, and understand what it really means to seek forgiveness and turn from that sin. I think when we realize that we can begin to understand grace. But grace is so much more. Grace is learning that there is a padded cushion under us, and when we fall we won't just crash and never get up. God is there to help us up.

-Amanda, CSM Los Angeles City Host Summer 2008

No comments: