Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Being a Bridge


bridge –noun. a structure spanning and providing passage over a river, chasm, road, or the like.

I’ve been thinking lately about the idea of being a bridge builder. So much of what we do here at CSM is centered on connecting people. As full-time staff, we value building long lasting relationships in the city. Then our participants come – mostly from suburban and rural communities - and they’re connected to our friends in the city across lines of race, language, and socioeconomic status. As they work in shelters, kids’ clubs, senior centers and the like, they make connections that they never expected.

It’s interesting to me, though, that as we make these connections we’re ultimately connecting more with God. Jesus says, “I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.” (Matt 25:40) As we connect with people and serve the city, we are connecting to God in a tangible and real way.

I encounter many chasms as I work in the city – language barriers, fear, prejudice, stereotypes. I find, though, that as we bridge those gaps we’re also bridging the gap that is between us and God. As we serve, we somehow draw closer to him.

-Megan Breed, CSM Houston Associate City Director

No comments: