Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Embracing Identity and Equality in Christ


Before I left my hometown of Wichita, KS, to come work at CSM Houston, I promised a lot of people that I would keep them updated. Here are some insights from my first few posts...
           
 “I have spent my whole life hiding behind my misplaced identity. Since taking an extended break from all physical beauty "enhancers", I’ve noticed a sad but very real change in myself. When people allow physical beauty to outweigh inner beauty then character slips are easy and often go unaccounted for. Having a bad day is never an excuse to make people feel any less than what God created them to be: treasures.” (June 4, 2014)

“I occasionally got the opportunity to actually interact and have conversations with the people I was serving. One by one, the stories I heard began to tear down my pre-existing opinions towards these people...We are equally worthy. We are equally human. Most importantly, we are equally loved by the God who created us both, and it is my duty to serve and enable my fellow humans with the resources I have been blessed with.” (June 14, 2014)


I'm learning that these posts are more than just documentations of things that have happened during my time here at CSM Houston - they tell the step-by-step story of my personal growth. 

I came to CSM Houston with a misplaced identity, and a false perception of beauty. Within my first two weeks of being in Houston, I found my identity in Christ and grasped what it truly meant to be beautiful. 

Once I began to embrace my identity in Christ, I began to see the world through His eyes which instantly triggered the change in my perspective towards the people we serve here at CSM. It was during that time period, also, when I began to grasp true equality in Christ.  The dividing walls consisting of social, racial, economic, and religious bricks came crashing down and there was nothing standing in between me and the people I came here to serve. 

Galatians 5:13 started to unfold in my life: “For you were called to freedom, brothers. Only do not use your freedom as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another.” 

When I started living my life with a servant’s heart, a life full of intentional service to others, the life God intended for me to live, I was changed. Working at CSM is much like a race. Everyone eagerly begins the race with a fast pace, mostly unaware of all the roadblocks along the way. Together, we have learned what a life of service looks like: the beauty, the pain, and everything in between. 

Our race isn't over yet though, guys! My hope is that both myself and my fellow City Hosts are able to finish these last couple of weeks strong, serve with the eagerness of a child, and long for more of Jesus. 

Fight the good fight. Finish the race strong. Live with the goal of hearing The Good Lord say, “Well done, good and faithful servant!” I will leave you with these words
“I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day—and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing” (2 Timothy 4:7-8). 

Go in peace.

- Morgan, CSM Houston Summer 2014 City Host

No comments: